Match Report | Chew Magna Cricket Club |  Somerset | England | UK
Last Updated 23rd Jan 2019, 12:05:13

Match Report

1st XI v Staplegrove (A)

Saturday, 3rd May 2003
Somerset Cricket League
Division 1

We arrived at the Grove to find a wet wicket with long grass, this went nicely with the outfield which was half way up Muddie's legs. Dark clouds raced across the sky with intermittent showers. Oh goody, the cricket seasons here again! Locky won the toss and put them in.

Jason and Chris opened up with some good accurate stuff which kept the scoring down in the first 10. Then Muddy had a rest to allow Greg to turn his arm over for the first time on English soil. He raced in against the force 8 gale and ankle deep mud and sent down some very tidy stuff indeed. Greg and Chris bowled very tightly and finally we got the breakthrough, the score was 42 off 16 overs. The Grove had to accelerate which they did, but started to loose wickets at the same time. Oz took 3 and Chris took 1 which was well deserved. Rhys then came on down wind and after Greg had finished his 12 Muddy at the other. The scoring was still slow, but the wicket and weather didn't allow much stroke play. Muddy picked up a couple of wickets in amongst some variable line and length and Rhys got one on target to clip off stump. Muddy then polished off the tail with interesting stuff including a full bunger that went like a tracer at Bucky who held on. So big jug from Jason for his 5 for and well bowled and fielded everyone. Half the job done and we looked favourites.

Andy and Dicky opened up with the weather improving and the wicket not. In fact as the innings went on it got more unpredictable. The openers pushed the ball around, hit the bad ones and generally made it look fairly easy. Then Andy got out for a useful 32 quickly followed by Dicky also for 30. In came Bung who looked like he hadn't been away. The score crept up quite slowly with Ken playing the anchor. Sadly just when he looked like winning the game Bung got out (36) and the wheels came off. From 90 for 2 off 28 overs we looked well in charge. Suddenly however we were put under some big pressure by the Grove bowlers and got stuck in the mud. Greg came in and pushed up and down for an over before smashing a long hop straight to backward square. Bucky got yorked and Locky got one that crept (lbw) from coasting to crashing in 10 overs!

The tail didn't put up much resistance and with Ben Pearce having a small tree stuck in his eye our last chance had gone. This must have been the biggest collapse for years. 90 for 2 to 111 all out. Still 15 points and we are second in the league. Ilton next week, minus their star man they should be just plain ordinary.

Report by ART

CSS Valid

Club Sponsors
Main Sponsor Pelican Inn Chew Magna
Georgian Sashcraft Ltd Windows
West Street Glazing

This website was
created in 2001 as
a lasting tribute to
Simon 'S' King

Stop Press

12th June 2018

10th September 2017

14th August 2017

Spotted an error?

If so, however small, please let us know and we'll put it right.

All feedback very much appreciated. Click here with any comments or suggestions.

Chew Magna Cricket Club